Trailer of the Month

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

World Without End (TV Show- Showcase TV)

WORLD WITHOUT END

Ken Follett Novel comes to life



The English town of Kingsbridge works to survive as the King leads the nation into the Hundred Years' War with France while Europe deals with the outbreak of the Black Death.

I thought I would write a review for the season finale but that wouldn't make sense without some background.  This is a period piece, so if you're not into that kind of stuff then you probably won't like it. But I went into this for the love story and wound up getting caught up in the war and betrayals and the sadness of it all. There are three love stories in this series, two heterosexual love stories and one homosexual love story which in the end broke my heart. 

It was so interesting the way it was written. The king was was waging a war with a super power but at the same time waging a war against a priory who the only thing they want to do is live their lives. 

The queen had the king murdered then went on to wage war against Kingsbridge by raising their taxes and just terrorizing these people. I was impressed with it all. She was so evil I couldn't stand it! (in a good way). The crazy monks and the dark and brooding knights--breath-taking.

The evil in this show came like a kick in the gut from ever direction and those you think are good end up being bad. There's is superstitions and another instant where religion blind people to what's truly important. 

Ken Follett and the crew did an amazing job on this show. I was very impressed with it. I've watched all the episodes and it brought out in me some emotions a TV show should always manage to. It was of high caliber.  The season finale was heart-wrenching but brilliant. 

The one downside is I would have liked more people to remain alive because it seemed they killed the whole cast in the end. I am not sure if that means WORLD WITHOUT END is not coming back for a second season or what the deal was but the cast was completely destroyed in the last two episodes--from the plague, one guy got stabbed in the neck, another one got killed by a kid with a bow and arrow, one got beheaded--and the hits kept right on coming. 

The uncertainty of what is coming next or rather, what's not coming next is a horrid way to end a series. But I really can't complain. Now I'm heading out tomorrow after work to see if I can find the Ken Follett book that goes with it.

Check out this TV show.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment