Trailer of the Month

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Showcase Strikes again! - King and Maxwell

After finding out that a show that I got into DO NO HARM was cancelled by NBC after the second episode but they kept running it just to show all the episodes they made, I got so mad. NBC is right up there with FOX when it comes to cancelling television show before fighting for them to live. Remember Firefly the best Sci-fi television show since the ORIGINAL Star Trek.  My hatred for the new Trek movies is for another post all together because that post will be ripe with cuss words that I will probably have to make up.  But anyways, I digress.

Canada's SHOWCASE TV seem to be hitting the nail on the head when it comes to character driven programming that no other station seems to carry. From World Without End to Copper  and in some cases Lost Girl (my disappointment in that television show has everything to do with their latest poster of BO in the subway stations  here in Toronto bothers the hell out of me because of what that little thing says to young girls) and of course Defiance - they seem to find some of the best shows to broadcast. They kind of let me down with most of the last couple of seasons of Beauty and the Beast but that's just me. Still, they did it again with their newest addition of King and Maxwell.

Let me start out by saying this - While sometimes characters need to be serious and some television shows are just built to rip your heart on it, stomp on it, run it over with a track, stop then back up over it, there are other shows that lighten the air while tossing in a bit of drama.

I love a television show who have characters who aren't the same old, same old. I love quirky and chemistry. I love character dynamics like Derick Morgan with Penelope Garcia, Gibbs and Abbey, Rizzoli and Isles - I love characters who play off each other and seem to genuinely like each other - not only as characters but it seem they like each other off screen.

Rebecca Romijn (the former Mrs. Stamos) plays Michelle Maxwell along side Jon Tenney (Longmire, The Closer) who plays Sean King. Now I waited two whole episodes before I wrote this. Normally I would wait a bit longer but so far I am not disappointed in this show. According to IMBD here is the blurb for the show: Sean King and Michelle Maxwell aren't your typical pair of private investigators. Both are former Secret Service agents, and their unique skill set (not to mention their razor-sharp chemistry) often gives them a leg up on both suspects and conventional law enforcement. 

It is not as droll as it sounds. From the very first episode, the lines have been drawn with what characters I liked and which ones I wanted to put in front of a speeding train. Harsh, yes I know but these two FBI agents in the show makes a person feel that way.  

I think one other thing I should mention is Ryan Hurst (Opie of Sons of Anarchy) as Edgar Roy - Now this character is spectacular. He is an adult with a high sort of Autism. He is GREAT with numbers, remembers things no one else could possibly remember but I adore this character so deeply! His performance is gold and puts a smile on my face every time.

Now, while I do not think this show will make it past the 10 episodes that's been schedule, I really hope it will. Why I say I don't think it will last? Well television stations deal in ratings. King and Maxwell is one of those shows that young people probably will not like. But Showcase TV has a knack for saving things, giving shoes and actors a chance for their fans to pay attention and get into it. If Beauty and the Beast lasted as long as it has, I'm holding out hope this spectacular gem of King and Maxwell will make it. 

Bottom line? King and Maxwell is a gem of a television show with comedy, chemistry, action, espionage and the hankering for a partner love story. It reminds me of Sue Thomas F.B Eye (which I miss severely. I am still disappointed with how it ended). It is one of those television shows not many people know about--but if you know who David Baldacci is, you should check out the books. I know what's going to be on my Christmas book list! (yeah yeah I'm a book nerd too).

Hugs,
Kato




No comments:

Post a Comment